Whale Wise is a registered UK charity. We aim to promote a harmonious relationship between humans and whales through scientific research and public engagement.
Whales and humans have a complex relationship. Whale populations around the world are threatened by human activity, and yet play an important role in our local culture and heritage. We aim to study this interaction to advance the welfare and conservation of whales around the world.
Our current work is primarily in Iceland and the UK.
By using a variety of novel methods and engaging with the public, we stand the best chance of understanding the two-way interaction between whales and humans.
2023 fundraising priorities
Whale Wise is a charity consisting entirely of volunteers. With your donation, you will support our research, engagement and general running. As part of this, you will help to create an equitable workplace where the team can have their living costs covered and in the future earn a fair wage.
Check out our research and engagement pages for a list of current projects. Note: equipment purchased for these projects will also be used in future work (especially drone and acoustic equipment).
What your donations can cover
- £30 – Food for our field team for one day
- £179 – 1 battery for a DJI Mavic 3 drone
- £300 – Round-trip flight from UK to Iceland for 1 person
- £400 – One month’s food stipend for volunteer in Iceland
- £800 – One month’s accommodation for the field team in Iceland
- £3500 – Acoustic release for bottom-moored hydrophone deployment
- £4589 – Calibrated hydrophone for long-term deployments, SoundTrap ST600
- £10000 – Acoustic retrieval deck unit for bottom-moored hydrophone deployments
Keep in touch
Running a charity requires financial support and we are grateful for any donations we receive. However, following and sharing our work in any way, no matter how small, also makes a difference. Join our email list to receive a quarterly newsletter and other updates.
Thank you as always for your support,
The Whale Wise team